Keyboard Shortcuts
Likes
Search
March 12 in RR History
March 12, 1839 The Maine, New Hampshire & Massachusetts Railroad (later B&M) is incorporated in Maine. ? March 12, 1845 The Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati Railroad (later CCC&StL, NYC) is reorganized as the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati Railway. ? March 12, 1857 A Great Western Railway train from Toronto to Hamilton ON plunges 60 feet into the frozen Desjardins Canal after the bridge collapses. A broken locomotive axle chewing through the crossties on the bridge weakened the structure, causing the collapse. Seventy persons die from trauma, drowning, or exposure. Only 20 passengers survive. (Some sources say 59 people killed in total, others put the date as March 17.) ? March 12, 1883 Norfolk & Western hauls its first load of coal. ? March 12, 1892 Anderson [Indiana] Electric Street Railway is electrified. (Some sources say March 14). ? March 12, 1895 The Epworth League Railway, later the Ludington Northern (MI), is organized. ? March 12, 1899 The Southern Railway inaugurates the “Piedmont Limited”. ? March 12, 1914 George Westinghouse, inventor of the air brake, passes away at his summer home in Lennox MA. ? March 12, 1917 The Pere Marquette Railroad is reorganized as the Pere Marquette Railway. ? March 12, 1957 The Pennsylvania Railroad begins using snack carts designed by Coca-Cola Company instead of dining or café cars on some Washington-New York trains. ? March 12, 2009 BNSF accepts delivery of four ES44C4 locomotives. The locos revive the A-1-A truck, once popular for passenger diesels. “A-1-A” trucks consist of three axles of which only the first and third axles are powered. BNSF hopes that the factory-modified ES44AC will give it the reliability of a DC locomotive and the reduced maintenance of AC motors. ? March 12, 2015 In a comic syndicated today, “Ripley’s Believe It Or Not” reports that Dutch Railways are fitting lasers to their locomotives to remove leaves from the top of the rails. ? Mark Tomlonson |
March 12, 1961 Philadelphia trolleybus route 61 on Ridge Avenue, which once connected with trolley routes at 36 locations in North Philadelphia and Center City, was converted to bus operation and transferred to Allegheny Depot from Ridge Depot which closed. Since buses were used on weekends, March 10 was the last day of trolleybus operation. The postwar ACF-Brill TC-44 trolleybuses were later trucked to Southern Depot to re-equip route 79 on Snyder Avenue which was still bus operated. Ridge Depot was cleared of all vehicles on March 18 and the storage tracks, last used in 1957-58, were removed. Also, all-electric PCC cars 2708-18 were in dead storage at Germantown and Woodland Depots after being used on route 23 (Germantown Avenue-11th and 12th Streets) because of their Westinghouse equipment; Germantown Depot operators preferred the General Electric cars (2726-2800).? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? March 12, 1980 NYCTA modified R-40 subway cars 4500 and 4501 were remated at Coney Island Shops. Car 4486 was out of service but was back by April 15th, remated with 4487. Also many R-27/30 subway cars have received bullet-proof motormen's safety glass windows.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Dennis M Linsky? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? On Wed, Mar 12, 2025, 6:23 AM Mark Tomlonson via <tomlonson=[email protected]> wrote:
|